Tuesday, July 9, 2013

distractions...

While reading The Weight of Glory it became clear that I am striving to fill the desires of my heart with earthly things...like Captivating (by John and Stasi Eldredge​) states, a woman's heart yearns for  beauty, romance, and adventure, and it's easy to seek it by worrying about self-image, obtaining approval from men, and creating our own adventures. We end up heartbroken or unsatisfied. I need make sure I to look to God to fill those desires, find my identity in Him alone. 

"These things-the beauty, the memory of our own past-are good images of what we really desire; but if they are mistaken for the thing itself, they turn into dumb idols, breaking the hearts of their worshippers. For they are not the thing itself; they are only the scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have bit heard, news from a country we have never yet visited." C.S Lewis

I do not want to be of this world, but it's scary how easy it is to get caught up in worldly possessions and society's definition of success. 

"You and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us up from the evil enchantment of worldliness which has been laid upon us for nearly a hundred years." C.S. Lewis

Specifically now I am struggling with this because I am stuck it what feels like limbo. I am a planner and want to take action; it would be easy for me to try and move forward by seeking to achieve earthly "goals," but I am going to try to turn to God and trust in His plan instead of trying to make my own.


xoxo
kn

No comments: